Sunday, September 25, 2011

On Climbing Mountains and Being Famous

Hello Blog Readers!
Ok so a few things have happened since I last blogged... Yesterday I climbed a mountain. Seriously. We had two local boys take us up the mountain, and it was hard. We climbed up boulders that were really steep, and knowing how accident prone I am I feel that I should have been tethered to the mountain in some way. However, I made it safely up and down the mountain with only a few scrapes and some sore muscles to show for it :) The scariest part about climbing the mountain was following a 12 year old boy with an extremely sharp machete. He kept falling and sliding down and playing on the edge of the cliff. It was a miracle that he did not fall and stab himself or cut someone elses leg off. seriously. Parents here kind of just let their kids figure stuff out on their own....
The beginning.

Climbing.


View from the top.

Ok. We also went on a field trip to the Ministry of Health in Bani and we got a lecture about all of the common illnesses/ problems etc. Well while we were there a video camera came in and video taped us and interviewed the doctor who gave our lecture. Later in the week my host sister came home after being in the city all day and she said she saw us all on the news. So that is exciting. 
I dont really know what else to tell you. We have technical training and spanish every day during the week so we dont get to do much else during the week. 
OHhhhhhh I know! We went into Santo Domingo so we could go on a tour of Profamilia which is a clinic that focuses on reproductive health and rights. That was really interesting... and we also got to see the american embassy. It has a full restaurant, pool, gym, etc. and as soon as we swear in we are allowed to go there whenever we are in the capitol. So that is pretty cool.  Ok I am just going to provide some photos for yall now...

 OH I forgot to tell you. We learned how to make an organic garden!
Public Transportation!


My Spanish Teacher.

Some PC Peeps!

Climbing the Mountain.

Man with Machete.


The Sanctuary in Las Tablas. Really Pretty.

Dominican Kite.

More Public Transportation.


My Don and Doña. He was very excited to show me his California shirt.

My Doña and I in our colmado.

No comments:

Post a Comment