Saturday, April 14, 2012

dont let the bed spiders bite!

On Creepy Crawlies:
Ew. Ew. Ew. Ewwwwww. When I got back from scuba diving I had a bit of swimmers ear in my right ear. However, I do not have any hydrogen peroxide in my house so I did what any peace corps volunteer would do. I improvised. I used some rubbing alcohol to dry the water out of my right ear.... and I figured hey, while Im at it I might as well do the other ear too. So I put the alcohol in my ear and let it sit there for a few minutes. Then I turned my head over onto a tissue to let all the alcohol drain out. When I looked at the tissue I was absolutely horrified. I didn't know whether to cry or laugh or scream. There was a dead spider lying there. I am assuming it got there during scuba camp because we were camping in a tent that had a few spiders roaming around.

 Ok now lets rewind to training... I was sitting with my friend Jenna talking about how we loved our mosquito nets because they not only kept out mosquitoes but they also kept out all the other creepy crawlies. Then I said "yeah that is one of my biggest peace corps fears. I am so afraid that I am going to wake up with some type of critter in bed with me. That is why I wear granny panties to bed because at least I know they are not getting all up in my lady bits. My other orifices are fair game though because I cant wear a bag over my head." Jenna agreed with me and said she was also a subscriber to the granny panty theory and that we were just shit out of luck if the critters wanted to enter a hole in our heads.

And what happens! Amanda aka worst luck with critters EVER gets a spider in her ear! Also, lets not forget that I am somewhat of a hypochondriac and now I cant stop wondering if the spider made spider egg babies in my ear. I might have to go to therapy if a whole brood of spidy offspring march out of my ear!
I took a picture this time because everyone got so mad at me for not taking a picture of the larva.

On Porch time:

Here in the DR we spend a lot of time on the porch. It is a great way to pass the time. Plus, most porches face the road so you get to chat with all your neighbors as they pass. It is a way to be social and relax at the same time. I have to say the Dominicans really do it right! My two neighbor girls (Laisha 5 yrs, and Sharlin 1 yr) are always over at my house hanging out on my porch with me. Now the other day I was skyping with my Aunt Linda, Uncle Doug, and my cousins Davia and Dustin for Easter. Laisha and a neighbor boy were over coloring on my porch, and they were so confused. They didnt understand why I was talking to the computer. I did my best to translate for them, and at one point Dustin said "Ahhhhh Im trapped in the computer". I made the mistake of translating this... and they have been asking me ever since if he is still trapped in the computer and how he got there in the first place. As an attempt to explain to them how skype works I showed them how the camera on my computer works by taking photos of all of us. They were having so much fun with the photos that they completely forgot about Dustin being trapped in the computer. Here are some samplers from our porch time photo shoot.








On Odd Transportation:
In a past blog I explained how public transportation here works, and all of the weird/different modes of transportation. I realized the other day that I forgot to mention one! My campo is on one main road that dead ends on both sides at the beach. There is only one way to leave my campo and that is through Luperón which is WAY out of the way because you have to go all the way to the coast which is kind of a zig zaggy trip. It takes about 30 mins (when it hasnt rained... double that if it has) and it is also the location of our nearest clinic. Anyways, there is one other way out of my campo... and that is to cross the river. How you ask? well there is a little ferry type thing called a yola (not sure if that is spelled right). Some Haitian men in my community made it with four 50 gallon drums and a slab of wood. You just hop on and they walk you across for 10 pesos. Only problem is if it rains the river is too deep and moves too fast so they cant do it... and it only fits people and motorcycles. no cars. 

Sorry this isn't the best photo... but here is the yola with a moto on it :)
LASTLY, if you guys want to know something about my life, peace corps, or the DR please let me know! I am open to questions or suggestions! amandamappel@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment